Quality improvement outcomes
Results from Alberta early adopter sites:
- Knowledge Translation to Optimize Adult Inpatient Glycemic Management With Basal Bolus Insulin Therapy and Improve Patient Outcomes.
- Qualitative Evaluation of the Barriers and Facilitators Influencing the Use of an Electronic Basal Bolus Insulin Therapy Protocol to Improve the Care of Adult Inpatients With Diabetes.
- Implementation of a Multidisciplinary Educational Strategy Promoting Basal-Bolus Insulin Therapy Improves Glycemic Control and Reduces Length of Stay for Inpatients With Diabetes.
The DON SCN is happy to share learnings and insights with other hospitals or health jurisdictions with respect to this initiative. For more information about the website or the provincial diabetes inpatient management initiative, please contact us.
Landmark Randomized Clinical Trials supporting the use of BBIT in-hospital:
- Basal-Bolus Versus Sliding-Scale Insulin Therapy in the Acute Care Hospital Setting: A Review of Comparative Clinical Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness
- Association of Hyperglycemia with Harms In-Hospital